A discussion of how advances around health IT are improving both patient care and the management of public health, including how new technologies are leading to better outcomes, healthcare interoperability, and crafting sophisticated responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Health IT: New Horizons in Medicine
Keynote: Consolidating Military and Veterans Health Care
The Defense Health Agency and Department of Veterans Affairs are working to create a continuity of health care from the moment an American enlists in the armed forces to their golden years as a retired service member. Hear how the federal government is using advances in data analytics and electronic health records modernization to foster uninterrupted continuity of care.
- Bill Tinston, Director, Federal Electronic Health Record Modernization Program Office, DHA*
Modernizing Medical Records and Healthcare Informatics
Description: A discussion of how federal agencies are modernizing record keeping and the maintenance of medical and health information, with an eye on interoperability and wholesale transition away from paper to digital records — including the use of paper conversion and cloud computing to facilitate this transition.
- RADM Michael J. Johnston, Assistant Commandant for Acquisition & Chief Acquisition Officer, USCG*
- Lauren Thompson, Director of Interoperability, Federal Electronic Health Record Modernization Program Office*
- John Windom, Executive Director, Office of Electronic Health Records Modernization, VA*
Let’s Talk Mental Health
Description: Federal agencies dedicated to advancing and providing mental health care services have focused increasingly on publicizing the availability of remote counseling. Hear how federal leaders are leading strategic communications campaigns to provide greater knowledge of digital services covering mental health and addiction treatment during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Meredith Fox, Director, Office of Science Policy, Planning and Communications, NIMH*
- Catherine Law, Director, Office of Communications and Public Liaison, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, NIH*
- Jeannette Mendy, Deputy Director, National Veterans Outreach Office, VA*
- Charissa Pallas, Director, Office of Communications, SAMHSA*
Digital Transformation and Public Health
Description: Advances in health IT are allowing for better management of public health, including the tracking of viral outbreaks and government response to public health crises. Hear from experts in both government and academia as they discuss how new technologies will assist health networks in both managing the demands of COVID-19 and better anticipating the challenges of tomorrow.
- Suzy Connor, CIO, CDC*
- Andrea Norris, CIO, CIT, NIH*
- Donald Rucker, National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, ONC, HHS*
- Dr. Jonathan Weiner, Founding Director, Center for Population Health Information Technology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University